The INSAS is basically an AK-74 (not -47) modified to fire 5.56×45 NATO ammunition with slightly different operating controls. Unlike the parent platform, it has a reputation for unreliability under harsh conditions, and the Indian military is actively evaluating replacements currently in the form of MCIWS.It’s only real virtue, from the perspective of the Indian military, is that it’s 100% home grown. Compared to other contemporary service rifles, it is well below par.
Before comparing these two Assault Rifles,keep Following in mind :
1. INSAS is basically a reverse engineered version of Ak-47.
2. There are only minor diffrences in the two.
3. There are only minor diffrences in the two.
4. INSAS does not have automatic mode firing like Ak.
5. INSAS is longer and heavier.
Now lets compare these two Assault Rifles :
1. Insas is a evolution of earlier used SLR and AK 47, so it has few features from both the weapons.
2. It does not have automatic firing mode as in AK thereby reducing the rate of fire.
4. The ammunition in AK 47 is NATO grade and thus more powerful and has a range of 400 meters, INSAS in order to achieve the same range has been made longer and is thus slightly inconvenient over ak.
5. The Ak magazine is made of steel and is opaque, thus one isn’t aware as to how many rounds are left, while firing unless counted, however INSAS magazine is translucent and thus it is easy to know when your magazine is nearing empty.
6. The cost of production INSAS is more than the cost of AK47 imported, which may be due to the heavy production in other countries.
7. The butt of AK47 is inherently foldable whereas that of insas is fixed, however other versions of both the weapons exist but are uncommon in Indian army.
8. The effectiveness of AK in todays ‘close quartered battle’ is extremely high over that of INSAS.
9. The biggest reason for introduction of INSAS in India was not to improve effectiveness but to provide employment to many sitting idle in the ordinance factories and earn fame, even if it means discarding a better weapon.(people who make these policies are actually never going to fire any of the weapons, even in the eventuality of war).
If you liked this article,do share……