For Indians, January 15 happens to be a very important day. It is when the Army Day is celebrated nationwide, honouring the soldiers of our country.
Here some things about the Army Day you should know:
1. Army Day is observed in the memory of our country getting its first Indian Army’s Commander-in-Chief, Lt General KM Cariappa, after the Independence.
2. On January 15, 1948, Lt General Cariappa took over the position from British Army General Roy Butcher.
3. This year, 2017, we are celebrating the 69th Indian Army Day.
4. Army Day is celebrated at every Army Command headquarters in the country and in the national capital.
5. In Delhi, celebrations begin with tributes being paid to the martyred soldiers at the Amar Jawan Jyoti in India Gate.
6. Different military shows featuring the technology and achievements of the Army are then carried out.
7. The Indian Army also hold parades, which include the exhibition of BLT T-72, T-90 tanks, Brahmos Missile, carrier Mortar Tracked Vehicle, 155 MM Soltum Gun, Advanced Light Helicopters of the Army Aviation Corps, etc.
8. Bravery awards like Unit credentials and Sena Medals are also distributed to the soldiers on this day.
9. The soldiers of the Indian Army take a pledge on staying dedicated to be a part of the ‘War Winning Team’.
10. Army Day is observed to honour the valiant soldiers, living and dead, who risk and sacrifice their lives to guard our country.