Khanderi, the second Kalvari class submarine, was today launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) in Mumbai.
Scorpene submarine Khanderi, known for its superior stealth, was launched by Union Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre.
HERE’S WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
1. “I’m confident that the day is not too far when Mazagon Dock Limited will build submarines for other nations as well,” Union minister Subhash Bhamre said soon after the launch.
2. The state-of-the-art features of this Scorpene class submarine includes superior stealth and the ability to launch a crippling attack on the enemy using precision guided weapons.
3. The attack can be launched with torpedoes, as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, whilst underwater or on surface. The Stealth features will give it an invulnerability, unmatched by many submarines.
4. The submarine is designed to operate in all theatres, including the tropics. All means and communications are provided to ensure interoperability with other components of a Naval Task Force.
5. It can undertake multifarious types of missions typically undertaken by any modern submarine i.e Anti-Surface warfare, Anti-Submarine warfare, Intelligence gathering, Mine Laying, Area Surveillance etc.
6. It is built according to the principle of Modular Construction, which involves dividing the submarine into a number of sections and outfitting them concurrently.
7. Khanderi is named after the Island fort of Maratha forces, which played a vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in the late 17th century.